Thursday, November 24, 2011

What is the minimum age to run a marathon?

I'm a 13 year old girl and I'm interested in running a marathon, but what is the minimum age to run one? Am I too young? If so, then what about a half-marathon? What is the minimum age for that?|||I am 11 and I am running the Route 66 Marathon. You just gotta get special permission from the race director. I've run a bunch of half marathons so...





^^To the above. Kenyan and Ethopian Kids run 6 miles to school and six miles back. 60 miles a week. Wanna see how they are doing? Sammy Wanjiru, Wesley Korir, Haile Gebresalassie, Robert Kiprono and Robert Kipkoech Cheriyout.. And on and on and on.


*Wanjiru ran 58:55 half when he was 18, Haile is the marathon world record holer, Korir double Los Angeles Marathon Champion, Robert Kiprono and Robert kipkoech Kipkoech 4 time boston champions and Kiprono boston record holder.





I enjoy running alot so if you think your up to the challenge then do it don't listen to people who say you can't. There are people that say I can't but Idc Just keep Running and don't quit because of what people say. ^Those goals achieved above reflect how much Running at an early age for long distances apparently "hurts you"|||i ran at this age in the LA marathon. i see no issues





but read this:





Question: Are There Age Requirements to Run a Marathon?


I'm a 15-year-old runner, and I really want to run a marathon. Do you have to be a certain age to run a marathon?


-About.com User


Answer: Most marathons have age requirements, and the minimum age is usually 16 or 18 years old. Marathons that have a lower age minimum do exist (I saw kids younger than 10 running the Honolulu marathon), but I recommend waiting a few years before you participate. Although I'm not aware of any scientific studies about the health implications of running a marathon at a young age, most experts would recommend at least waiting until kids get through puberty. A lot of doctors recommend avoiding extreme distance running for kids and young teens because the repetitive trauma may cause damage to bones that are still growing.





Training for a marathon is extremely time-consuming, exhausting, and tough physically and mentally. At such a young age, it's bound to have a big effect on other priorities in your life, such as school.





Have you done races at other distances? I would suggest doing some 5Ks or 10Ks before you take on a marathon. Completing one of those distance would be an incredible accomplishment, especially for a 15-year-old, and doing so will definitely prepare you for a future marathon. Plus, you'll have something to look forward to in the future.|||Depends on the marathon my dude


I think for big marathons like NYC, Boston, its 16 or 18, but if its a local one you would have to find out from the race host


Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment