Thursday, November 24, 2011

How early should I start training for a half marathon?

I am not really a runner, but I would like to complete a half marathon sometime in 2008. I certainly wouldn't be aiming to win it or anything--just complete it in a decent time. About how much time does it take a newbie to prepare for a run like this? Also, where can I find information about training programs and such?





Thanks for your help!|||This site says a novice could do it in 12 weeks. I would give yourself an extra month, just so that you are comfortable at a 10+ mile distance. Try to get in your first 1/2 marathon maybe memorial day weekend? You can do a few 5-10k races in there. Good luck!





http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/no鈥?/a>|||17 weeks: the first 4 to get up to running 3 miles non-stop, then increasing 1 mile per week, per long-run. It sounds scary, but it's not too bad. I've followed the Jeff Galloway training schedules for two half marathons (both this year), and I've finished both without injuries, and faster than the training schedule predicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment