Saturday, November 19, 2011

When should I start training for a half marathon?

I would like to run my first ever 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles). The half marathon is not until October 3. I usually run about 5 miles everday, but I would like to build up in order to do the marathon. Do I have enough time to do this? I have great endurance and stamina, so building up my running will be easy. What are some other preparations I need to do?|||I consistantly run 5+ miles each day on a tredmill (7 days a week, no day off).


When I prepare for a half marathon, I start out running my normal 5 miles for 2 weeks, but I only do it on a track or outdoors. Then each 2 weeks I add an additional mile (or you can add 1/2 mile each week).





I make sure to run 13 miles for a full 4 weeks before the marathon... Over all my training period is 2 weeks at 5 miles, 2 weeks at 6, 2 weeks at 7, 2 weeks at 8, 2 weeks at 9, 2 weeks at 10, 2 weeks at 11, 2 weeks at 12, and 4 weeks at 13. It's a 20 week training period, but I'm sure you could shorten it to 10 weeks... And you would still have an extra 4 weeks to train at 13 miles (if you start training now). This would require running for 1 week at 5 miles NOT on a tredmill, and adding one mile each week (train at each level for exactly 1/2 the time period). It would be harder to do, though. Your body may not have enough time to fully adjust to running at each level.|||wow man, i wish i was like you, i could probably run that much but it just gets unbelievably boring for me...I can't answer obviously but all i can say is good luck and can you give us some running tips in the additional details thing?|||I would say maybe start training 2 months before or so. But you dont have to run everyday. And dont work on just running but also on weights and other stuff. Hope this helps!|||You should start doing a few ten mile runs fairly soon, and then do one every two weeks. About the beginning of September you should do a thirteen mile run just for confidence sake. Then do one ten mile run every week before the race. Keep your five mile runs going the week before the race, and take the day before the race off. See you in Newcastle.

No comments:

Post a Comment