Thursday, November 24, 2011

What advice can you give me in training for a half marathon?

I want to run a half-marathon in January (I live in AZ). I've never done any type of marathon before. I bought some awesome running shoes and started running about 30 mins a day, 5 days a week, inside and outside. Still doing my regular weight training 3 days a week (light weights). What advice or tips can you give me to help me train to be in the best shape possible by then.|||You should check out the advice at Active.com -- they have a comprehensive section just for running tips, training methods, articles, and even message boards to ask experienced runners your questions along the way. I think you will find it to be a valuable resource on your way to accomplishing your half-marathon goal! Good luck :)|||Drink lots of water.

Report Abuse


|||Try some longer runs if you have the time, as a half-marathon would take a decent runner about an hour and a half or more, and 30 minute runs don't require nearly as much endurance as a half marathon. Running on hilly terrain will be good training too, as hills can really wear you out. If you're not doing so already, stretch your legs AND arms well before you run (your arms will get sore after long runs too). Crunches and push-ups should also help with your core and improve endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment