Thursday, November 24, 2011

How long does it take to train for a half marathon?

I bike a lot, but I am by no means a runner. Can I get in shape enough to run a half marathon in a month and three days?! If so, any tips?|||Nothing is impossible, but even if you're a serious cyclist with a high level of cardiovascular fitness, I'd still have to say that I think it's probably not very likely. The reason is because the ability to run 13 miles consists of more than just aerobic endurance. It also requires bones, muscles, and connective tissue that have been conditioned to withstand the constant pavement pounding (3x your body weight with every step!) without injury. That's where your real struggle is going to be.





I think people forget about that part because it isn't visible. However, if you were to look at the leg bone tissue of an experienced distance runner under a microscope versus that of someone who was also very fit but not a runner (say, a cyclist or a swimmer), you would find that the bones of the runner are harder and denser, which is the leg bones' way of adapting to all the force they must absorb on long runs. The same is true for tendons and muscles.





Not having yet had time to develop this extra tissue density, you just won't be able to train very hard in five weeks. The bodies of people who aren't acclimated to running can usually run around 10 miles a week safely, and you can safely increase mileage by 5-10% from week to week. That means that in the second week you can run at most 11 miles, 12.1 miles in the third week, 13.3 miles in the fourth week, and 14.6 miles in the fifth week. Many people think they can build mileage faster, try it, feel fine for the first couple of weeks, and then end up sidelined with an overuse injury like shin splints or IT band syndrome.





Unfortunately, with weekly mileage this low, it's going to be difficult for you to get much effective training in. For the first couple of weeks, it's probably best to do two runs per week of 5-6 miles (if you can - if you can't run that far right now, then it's unlikely you'll be able to finish), and then try to do a couple of longer runs with walking breaks in the last couple of weeks. Even then, you won't have ever done a run of more than 8-9 miles, which leaves a lot up in the air on race day.





So that's my professional opinion. I'm not going to tell you you can't do it; on the other hand, I can't in good conscience tell you it's safe or advisable, or that you won't end up injured or unable to finish. Personally, I wouldn't risk an embarrassing performance; I'd bide my time and sign up for an event far enough out to give me the time to train for it safely %26amp; properly. But that's just my opinion.





Best of luck,





- Jo|||I wouldn't recommend it..





Jo gave a great answer, and if I can add anything to that, I'd say that it typically will take about 6 months to properly train for a half marathon, going from not running regularly. I'm an all-around runner, been doing it for years. But I took a few years off, and coming back was one of the more painful things I've had to endure as far as running goes.





Your body simply isn't designed to be an out-of-the-box runner. It needs a quite a bit of conditioning, and if you don't properly condition your body, you end up injuring yourself.





If I were in your shoes, I would look to do a half marathon in early spring of next year. An excellent intermediate goal that you have plenty of time to get in shape for would be a Thanksgiving-day 5k. Most towns have something like that somewhere, I'm running in one this year.





5k's make really great intermediate training goals when you are training for a marathon or a half, since you need a good amount of time to train for marathons. Having something in there to break them up helps keep you motivated.





Good luck!|||How bad are you willing to feel? As a cyclist who ran a marathon a few years ago, I can tell you the muscles are very different starting with the feet and then there is the pounding of the joints. If you use the 1-to-4 ratio then running 13 miles is aerobically equivalent to biking 52 miles.





With this as a basis, here's my advice. 1. Start training now by running what you think is a comfortable distance, say 3 miles, 5 miles if you can, at an easy pace. 2. Each week add 2+ miles to your long run. This will just get you to your 1/2 M. 3. Mix in 2 short easy runs each week. 4. Keep up your biking 1 day per week to help our aerobics without the pounding of the running. Don't overly exert your self, just LSD -- long slow distance. 5. After your race, keep your twice weekly easy runs for a couple weeks. Also, take Advil or Aleve after your longer runs to treat the inflammation you will experience. And learn to eat your gels and drink water as you run as you would biking.|||I take a different attitude with a question like this than many people. The real question here to me is, what do you want out of this half marathon? Do you want some specific results, or are you just trying to run a half marathon and finish it?





You cannot train from scratch in one month to a specific goal over a half marathon distance. I do think that someone with a strong aerobic base (like a cyclist) can train to finish a half marathon rather quickly. There are many full marathon programs designed to take someone from coach to finishing a marathon in 4 or 5 months, and it's not as if you're inactive now.





You should first take a hard look at your motivations. Is this something that can wait until next fall when this race comes around again? If so, the obvious answer is to wait.





If you really are set on trying this, you need to try to do a 10 mile run 8 or 10 days before the race as your longest training run. Design your program backwards from there to your first run. Don't push too hard, since you don't currently run you won't be able to put in heavy mileage. You've got a little over 3 weeks of training time, then that easy 8 - 10 days.





Were I in your positions, here's how I would train. Each week would consist of a long run, a "hard" run, and two easy runs. I'd go in 3 day cycles - easy:hard:off, easy:long:off, etc. For the easy days, I'd do 2 miles at a very slow jog - the goal here is to raise your heart and get you moving, without stressing your legs. For the long runs, I'd do a 6 mile, an 8 mile, then the 10 mile as the last of them. Only go slightly faster on the long days than the easy days, you're not used to the pounding of running, so there's no reason to push hard. On the "hard" day, I'd do fartlek running. Go for about 3 miles, jogging at your long run pace. Occasionally, pick up your pace to comfortably fast for 20 to 30 seconds, focusing on having good running form. Then slow back down until you've caught your breath back before attempting another speed up. Just go by feel, no set number of speed ups.





Be prepared for possible aches and pains that you aren't used to - cycling and running are very different. Also, spend some of your spare time doing research. Check out www.runnersworld.com in the training section, there are some good articles that are very informative.|||This question does help me as well. I just completed my 1st 10K race 2 weeks ago to support a local charity and made a decent finish time doing it. Now my body feels that it's ready to push the ante a bit and start training for the half:-)|||Here is a great blog I have been following with tricks of the trade to get me going! A real life experience of someone who has been running marathons for a while! Check it out at http://bclestl.com/Blog.aspx. Good luck! Ask Carrie, she has helped me so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment