Thursday, November 24, 2011

Is my half marathon time good? How can I improve it for next time?

I'm 15 years old and I ran my first half marathon last autumn in 2 hours and 5 minutes.


I'll be doing another one next autumn and I'd like to know how I can train over the summer to get my time to be under two hours! I run 3 times a week (between 5-15 km a time). Any suggestions?|||You did it really fine, congratulations, but another good new is that you have a lot to improve if you want so. I'm a 1h 17' half marathoner. To shave 5 minutes in your next half marathon it's very easy for you to do. Just increase some more two training days in a week. Every 14 days increase your saturday long run to 18 to 19 km. You'll be ready. If you want to low it down more than 5 minutes, run some tempo run. It means during a regular 8 km run, for instances, run some 1 km faster than the others. After you can do 2 km instead of one or even 3, faster km in your tempo run. Interval training I would let for another time when you achieve your goal and another goals come to your mind.|||That is a great time and since your only 15 you definitely have a strong chance in slashing time and reaching an impressive PR. I ran my first half marathon in Philly, same time in September, at age 19 and completed it at 1 hour 12 min.





I did it exactly by running three to six times a week slowly starting from 3Ks to 8Ks to 10 and 12Ks...etc...pacing myself. At the same time being able to pace myself. It was all about "build-up" and endurance/strength training. Basically taking it one step at a time being able to control my breathing and legs. At the same time working out, eating the right foods, and staying on top of my game.





You will do it under two hours!





Good luck,





"Think Fast Move Faster"|||The world record is 2.3.58 for a marathon but its not about that


2.05 is a good time for a first 1/2 marathon.





I would say increase your long run one a week up to 15 miles.


enter 5k and 10k races they will sharpen up your speed work and should be fun.


jon a club, your sports teacher at school should know of some in your area.





have fun.|||Training in summer heat should improve your endurance.





Perhaps try running intervals. E.g. Run slightly below race pace for 5 minutes, then run your regular practice pace for 5 to recover. Repeat.





STAY HYDRATED.|||Try to compare it to 2 hours and 7 min for the full marathon. That is the record time for mens.|||it is decent. keep running

No comments:

Post a Comment