Saturday, November 19, 2011

How to train to run a half marathon?

One of my ambitions for 2008 is to run a half marathon. I've always had a hard time running for a long time and long distances, so I want to find out how to train... Is there a book or website that has helped anyone go from a non-runner to a marathon runner?





I am fairly fit- I have no problem swimming for long distances or cycling for long distances. I just have an extremely difficult time running. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!|||Check out Runnersworld.com, they have all sorts of training programs, even for 1/2 marathons. I do about 2 1/2 marathons a year, basically I do 3 runs during the work week, make sure one has hills and one has intervals, then I do a long run on Sundays, anywhere between 10-15 miles, so I'm always in shape to knock out a 1/2 marathon. Believe it or not, it's more mental than physical if you're in shape, which sounds like you are.


Good luck.|||Runnersworld has some good info. I lvoe their training plans. In fact I will be using their half marathon plan the next couple months. I also visit sites like http://runningfat.com/half-mar鈥?/a> since I am a big guy.

Report Abuse


|||I don't know of any books but i have done 3 half marathons. I run most of the year so I don't do much training but something like this might work: Week 1: 2 miles 3 days, 4 miles one day. Week 2: 3 miles 3 days, 5 miles one day Week 3: just like Week 2 Week 4: 3 miles 2 days, 4 miles one day, 5 miles one day Week 5: 3 miles 1 day, 4 miles one day, 5 miles 2 days Week 6: 4 miles 3 days, 6 miles 1 day Week 7: 4 miles 2 days, 5 miles 1 day, 7 miles 1 day Week 8: 5 miles 3 days 8 miles 1 day. Week 9: 6 miles 3 days 9 miles one day Week 10: 6 miles 3 days 10 miles 1 day Week 11: 6 miles 3 days 11 miles 1 day Week 12: 6 miles 3 days 12 miles 1 day Week 13: 6 miles 3 days 14 miles 1 day


Especially the first few weeks, try not to skip days. If at all possible run 6 days a week, even if it is only for 2 or 3 miles. feel free to repeat a week if you really aren't ready. you will be very sore the first few days and probably tired after the long runs. if you get bored bring an mp3 or try to pick routes with lots of things to look at the week or two befor the race, lessen your distances. go 5 or 6 miles on your long runs, with 2-4 miles on the shorter runs. The day before, don't run. You may be able to find training schedules for all distances in certain issues of the magazine Runner's World.

No comments:

Post a Comment