Saturday, November 19, 2011

How can I cut my marathon time to qualify for Boston?

I am currently at about 4:00 for a marathon. At my age I need to cut my time down to under 3:20 to qualify for the Boston Marathon. How can I work to speed up my time. I know running faster, doing fartlyk work, etc. Any other suggestions. I have cut about 20 minutes off my marathon time in the last 10 months.|||Cutting that much off your time in 10 months may be overly optomistic





To cut 40 minutes off your time, you have to cut about 90 seconds per mile off your average pace.





At some point in your training you should start running your target pace over an extended distance. Maybe only 5 miles at first then extend it up to at least 10 miles and maybe 15.





The year I ran my marathon PR, in the last month before the race, I did one workout of 15 miles, on the track, at my target pace, checking every quarter mile to make sure I was running an even pace. Note: Some people thought it was a crazy workout, but on race day I was at or better than my target pace for 26 consecutive miles.|||Please look at the FIRST marathon training plan. You only run 3 days a week but they are high quality runs with very precise speed work. I have heard that interval training is more effective than tempo runs but I use both, good luck!!|||Turtle Girl's advice here is excellent. I'll add that it might be worth your time to consult with a sports nutritionist at least once.|||run faster!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment