Thursday, November 24, 2011

How do I prevent blisters when training for a marathon?

When I run over 10-12 miles I get blisters on my left foot. Any suggestions on preventing this? My goal is to get comfortable at running 20 prior to the marathon.|||Only on the left side; interesting.





You can get double-layered socks; the two layers rub together instead of your skin. Lube could be a good idea, too, but be careful not to get too much on there. I have had a blister get bloody and it felt slippery %26amp; weird.





Have you got a bunion on one side and not the other? I have one, and it offsets my natural roll-inward step. My shoe soles wear differently and my heels are at different angles. I had some orthotics made and that really helped.





If you can get to a podiatrist, he may find an anomaly in your foot and be able to get you the right solution to prevent the blisters. Try some things the others have suggested, but I would check out the left foot to see if something is going on. You can also just get generic inserts and try them; it would be easier and you might get lucky.





If you can get to a real running store, you can get an expert to watch you run. That could help. If your left foot is off, it could induce some twist in your knee which would be a problem.|||all the above suggestions are great ones, however they can get a bit pricey.


For me, all I have to do to prevent blisters is rub vaseline on the spots they tend to form. The vaseline reduces the rubbing in a very affordable package|||the best way to prevent blisters is to do the following:





-use BodyGlide or a simliar product that will preventing chaffing.


-make sure you have the right shoe. Go to a running store and have them film you running to see how your foot fits in the shoe


-always wear non-cotton socks; I use wright socks


-take notice when you are running if your toes curl up or not; make sure your foot is relaxed while running and do some foot stretches in the middle of your run|||Blisters were a phase of running with me. For a while, I'd get blisters for no apparent reason. Until I started using vaseline before every run. Eventually, you stop the vaseline and no more blisters either....|||Two other things are: If you know where you're going to blister, just take some athletic tape and slap it over the spot. Also, check the socks to see where the seams are. Depending on their size and where they are located, they can cause problems, as that is the most common problem I have.|||when u start to feel a "hot spot," put mole skin over it to prevent more rubibng|||I have the same problems sometimes. Try purchasing a running sock. Go to your local running store and look at the selection. They have super thin ones and thick ones. Try both and see which helps more. Also, I am a big fan on Body Glide (or runner's lube). It looks like a deodorant stick. You glide it on feet, legs, arms, or wherever you are prone to blisters or chaffing. It is amazing - worth the money! Also, you may want to look at investing in a new pair of shoes. Maybe your current ones have too much mileage or don't fit your feet right. Try to go to a running store where they will do a gate analysis of how you run (usually free). Finding the right shoe makes all the difference. I hope this helps!





Some stores I frequent in Colorado are Runners Roost, Boulder Running Company, and Road Runner|||Basically, blisters occur because of friction between your feet and your shoes. It can also occur between your toes when they rub against each other, or on your feet when they rub against your shoes or socks. To avoid this friction, your socks should fit smoothly, with no extra fabric at the toes or heels.





Moisture also contributes to the formation of blisters. Socks made of synthetic fibers wick moisture away from the skin. Cotton may be lighter, but it retains fluid, which may cause blisters. There are plenty of "blister-free" sock options out there at running stores, and they're all about the same to me.





Since you know where on your feet that you are prone to get blisters, you can also apply petroleum jelly beforehand to reduce friction. Personally, I like to use the Body Glide lubricant, but Vaseline is just as good.





Good luck on your marathon~!|||You need to figure out what is rubbing. You may need different or better fitting shoes, at a minimum invest in some good running socks. Don't just get athletic socks, but actual running socks. Take your shoes and typical socks into a running store, they will help you figure out how to stop it. If the store specializes in more than running it is most likely not a running store. You need a shop like http://www.runningfit.net/|||Blisters plague many of us and often for something that seems avoidable...like shoes being too tight...toe nails being too long...socks being bunched up, etc... I usually take some vaseline or body glide and hit all those "high-friction" areas on any run that's over 1-2 hours. Experiment with that and also try some socks that wick moisture away. Best of luck in your training. Check out the link below for some other tips.





- Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment