Thursday, November 24, 2011

What would be a good strategy for running a marathon?

I've trained hard and have done a couple of half-marathons at 2 h 15 min (don't laugh, I'm a beginning runner and am an older guy). Last year I ran a marathon just to finish and finished, but at the stumblingly slow time of 5 h 30 min. I do the Galloway method and would like to finish the Philly Marathon this year in under 5 hours. What advice can you give me?|||you should log at least 40 miles a week.


runnersworld.com use the smartcoach for a running schedule





if you log the miles and do the work, you can do it easily. I only trained 6 months for a marathon, im 31, and i got a 4:36. I came in right behind a lady that was probably in her 60's and a 12 year old boy.


i got up to 60 miles a week in my training.


by the looks of your half mile time your training should look something like this





long runs : 11:40 per mile pace


tempo runs: 10:00 per mile pace (one a week)


speed work: 9:20-9:30 (example 5*800 /400m rests)

No comments:

Post a Comment