Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do I get ready for half marathon with only a treadmill and elliptical?

Here is the problem; I am trying to train for half marathon. I live in Mountain states, ie SNOW-SNOW-SNOW! I am running on treadmill everyday. I also use elliptical. When I get off work at 6:00pm it is dark.


I have finished one half marathon, but was able to run outdoors. I am not builiding my miles due to boredom-


Please help with anything that may help! My race is in 3 months!|||Hello, I'm a veteran of 9 marathons and one ultra marathon, also have ran many half marathons. What you are trying to do is tough, not sure if I can accomplish what you are trying. I currently live in Ohio, so I know about snow and ice and darkness and cold. If you have the weekends off, make sure you get at least a long run on either a Saturday or Sunday. When the weather is not a blinding blizzard or bitter cold temps, I use my headlamp and go out for a run in the dark, either before work or after, whatever my schedule fits in. Not sure how many days a week you run, if it is 5 days, do 2 on the threadmill, if it is 4 days, just do 1 day on the threadmill until the warmer days arrive. Good luck to you, always enjoy talking to another runner.|||I have been running for 8 years now and definitely think weights would be a good thing to use along with running either on a treadmill, eliptical, or outside. I would recommend the following:





I would strengthen the core: calves, quads, hams, back and abdominal (the "six pack" muscles along with the obleks), chest and arms. But when strengthening these muscles, I would focus more on the muscle endurance not the muscle bulk. For more advice for this, I would consult with a personal trainer. For the running part, I would stay flexible as it helps/contributes to your balance (so do the muscles in your core) but also helps prevent some injuries like pulled muscles and shin splints. Also, I would try to make up a schedule where you can run for X amount of days and try to have a long run. I would start off slowly, running about 2-3 miles per run for the first week and increase my mileage per week. Make sure you have the following: a good diet, hydration, sleep, a good sense on how to take care of your body, and sleep. Good Luck!!!|||I feel your pain, I live in Yellowknife Northwest Territories, it does not snow, but running outside when it is 鈥?0C is doable I don鈥檛. I am doing a 陆 training schedule right now as a leadup to a marathon.





Best advice I can give is use a 1 to 2% grade on the treadmill. This will help give you a bit more resistance so when you are outside it does not affect you as badly. Two, if you are home go rent a movie and watch it while you are running along. I love music so I just have a good selection on my iPod and listen to music while I run at the gym.





Just get out when you can. I try to get outside at least 1 per week weather permitting. So far we have had almost two weeks of 鈥?0C so I am inside at the moment.








Harry


http://thediabeticrunner.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment