Friday, December 2, 2011

What is a respectable time for your first marathon?

I am 26, male, in good health. I am doing a marathon in March. I am training, putting in the miles, doing all the right things to get ready. I am thinking at 9 minutes per mile i will finish in just under 4 hours. How did your first marathon go? What was your time?|||Finishing your first marathon without stopping is more than "respectable."





Try to beat Oprah and P-Diddy after that. Your 9 minute per mile pace will more than cover it.





I reinjured a hamstring during my first marathon, but limped and gimped in under 5 hours. The lesson for you is to plan your race, and stick to the plan. It's easy to blow up the first few miles at 7-8 minute pace to "bank time" for later. Uh-uh. Bad idea. You will pay severely for your mistake.





Stay hydrated, stay on pace, and conserve energy. Focus on your efficiency. Things start to hurt in weird places.





Good luck!|||My first was 3:58.02


Number 1 goal is to finish %26amp; you R a winner no matter what your Time , Mile 20 is called the Wall for a good Reason !!!!!!!!!!





Good Luck %26amp; Don't forget to drink|||My first marathon I did not finish because I did not train correctly. I was 23 and thought that youth would get me through. I tossed up water at 13 miles and did not take any more in until I collapsed at the 25-mile mark. I was sub 3:00 at the time. But I blew it.





For the next four months I put in Quality not quantity (because schedule did not allow long runs). My pace was around 5:50 to 6:10/mile and I would be able to put in 6-10 miles a day. As the marathon got closer I start to put in more miles with a couple of 18-20 miles on Sundays, all still staying on that pace.


My next marathon was a 2:48 that qualified me for Boston (the goal) I then keep the quality up and finished my first Boston in 2:56:30. I just wanted to finish. The next marathon (in July was a 2:44 and I was not hurting. In October I did one more for a tune up and ran a 2:40. Then did Boston again in a 2:38:04. Finished 632/of 6974 runners and figured it was time to stop. A friend convinced me to try one more to see if I could go sub 2:30, with her encouragement I did one more and did a 2:27:16, and collapsed at the line unable to walk for about two days.





For you first have fun and avoid the feeling of the wall. As you continue to train you will get to know your body like NEVER before. You will know what you can take and what you can not. Your pace will become almost programmed and you can almost tell time my your strides. It was incredible I could go out for a 4-15 mile run and come back almost to the minute when I told my friends I would be back. When you are there at that point you can go for it all. Trust me, when you are at that level it is the coolest thing in the world.





I wish you the best of luck as you continue to strive for the inner you.|||Remember the goal is the accomplishment of finishing healthy and in good shape. I did my first marathon in october. I was setting unrealistic goals for myself. Right before the race, a gentleman 71 years old stopped me while I was warming up. He said, what are you gonna run? 2:20 to 2:30? I said this is my first marathon. He told me to relax. He said this was his 35th marathon. He told me to settle back and enjoy this one, the rest will be for time. Speed will come, but none will be the same as your first!! Go out too slow and find your pace along the way. Boy was he right It was the greatest day of my life, besides my marriage. If I had gone all out, I would have missed all the great conversation along the way and the beautiful scenery. There is plenty of time to run for speed. Run for joy and the experience will be burned in memory forever.





Brian (Ma) Currently working on part two(SPEED!!!!)|||that's a good time. anything under 4 hrs is a good first marathon. i don't run them, but my uncle does and he's been running them for years. he usually gets around 3 1/2 hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment