Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Can I realistically survive a marathon on minimal training?

Just completed a half-marathon on Saturday (barely. Had to basically walk the last 4 miles and finished in 2:59. Didn't train for it at all, was asked to run it a few days prior) and got signed up for a full marathon in 4 weeks. As I'm unwilling to back out, is there any training regimen that will at least get me to a place where I can run/walk/run the 26.2 miles (slowly) and survive? I fully understand that I'm going to suffer considerably.|||"I'm unwilling to back out" - I hope you are comfortable with the idea of injury. Perhaps you should have asked this question before signing up for something that you know nothing about, hmm?





During typical marathon training, right now you'd be doing your longest run and preparing to taper off your mileage to recover fully for race day. You have no mileage to taper off, however. There is no training plan that can help you now, minimal training for a marathon would last 3 months - you have 1.





I suggest you use the time you have left to work on your race-day routine. Some light running 3 or 4 days a week, nothing too long, and practice your fueling and hydration strategy during these light workouts - use this time to make sure you can jog and walk with Gatorade and energy bars in your stomach, for example. Also use this time to design and practice your warm up routine, to plan out how much walking you will be doing (rather than going until you are forced to walk, you should incorporate planned walking breaks this time around).





You need to recognize that you are exposing yourself to a very high risk of injury here - not pain and suffering, all marathon runners have that, I mean actual injury. This is not going to be enjoyable, and it might put you in a position where you can't run for month while you heal up. A full marathon is much different than a half, and if you go through with this you will find out just how. I hope you reconsider your position on backing out.|||Completely possible! I trained for a marathon in 2 weeks when I was


15. Finished 74th in 3:34.33. Just don't


Give up!|||Well, if you're willing to walk and don't care about your time there's no reason a healthy person shouldn't be able to go 26 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment