Friday, December 2, 2011

How long does it take to train for a marathon?

I am considering joining the Leukemia and Lymphoma's Team in Training to run the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco in Oct 2008. I plan on starting in April of 2008 to train (I am currently deployed right now and can't train as much as I would like though I can train some!) I am a somewhat experienced runner (am in the army, so am physically fit). Is 6 months enough time to seriously train? I am able to train somewhat over here in Afghanistan but the altitude is killer so it is difficult to run more than 6 or 7 miles, along with the heat.





Additionally, I am not trying to win the marathon, just trying to finish it to support a great cause and for my own satisfaction.


Thanks!|||6 months is plenty of time, especially since you arent planning on running it competitively. You should definitely try to work on getting your mileage up as soon as you can though. For some it is easier just to run according to time-- when training their goal is simply to run for 2 hours, no matter what the pace. In time, you just try and run a little bit longer until you are happy with your endurance level....26 miles may not sound bad when you divide it by 6 or 7....but trust me.......in most cases it is 20x more difficult or long than many imagine. It also becomes painful on your joints throughout the race if you don't normally run marathons. best of luck to you, and im glad its for a great cause!|||I can't find anything wrong with your plan Nicole, just be sure to fill in the details from Marathon Day backward. Taper the week before the M, make sure you get at least 2-3 20-milers under your belt at least 2 weeks apart, hydrate well, and always run in the shade.





26.2 miles is exponentially longer than the 6-7 you are now running, so you need the longer runs just to get your mind ready for what might become "mind over matter".





Watch out for small discomforts that signal injury ahead - treat them immediately.





Good LUck|||Start in April to train for a marathon in Oct. That is enough of time.





My 1st marathon was in Jun 07 and finished in 5:45. I started Jeff Galloway marathon training in Feb 07. I have never been athletic in my life before. The only physical activity I did was shopping.





The only problem could be the heat and altitude of the location you are at for your training. But, you must be physically fit already if you are in the army. Therefore, I am sure you could do it. You can seach find a lot of into on the internet for advise and training.|||it takes a life time, train as much as you can and stay conditioned. it takes atleast 4 to 6 months absolute minimum.|||A little bit of training at high altitude will give you great results in terms of lung capacity.


Do what you can now.


Then training at sea level in San Francisco will be a cinch!!!!!! The time line looks good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment