Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Can I run a half-marathon with only 15 weeks of significant training?

Hello,





I've been running for a few months now and am going to do my first 5k race in a week. I am comfortable running 3-4 miles and have been doing some tempo runs. I am considering training for a half-marathon that is in 15 weeks and am looking for some experienced runners feedback. I have a friend who I run with who has ran a half marathon and she believes I'm capable. I don't want to do anything to over-exert my body or train too quickly. Thanks!|||Yes but be careful. To avoid training injury do not increase your weekly mileage over 10%. To run the half marathon, you need to be able to run 4 to 5 miles daily at speed without wearing down.





On race day, cut back on your speed 30 to 45 seconds a mile. If you are like me, you will be able to run three times your daily training distance at that pace.





If it helps any, I went from running 10k races to running my first marathon with 4 weeks of running 42 miles a week at 10K speed. I don't recommend that anyone else do that but it is possible to get ready for a long race rather quickly.|||What is a few months?


If you are conditioned to your 3-4 mile days you could finish the half with 15 weeks of training.


You need to increase your distances a little.


The rule of thumb is you need to average 1/3 your race distance, that means you could finish the half, but not race it.


Be careful when running longer distance, I would suggest you do a long day of 6 miles or so, and see how you feel.


If you are not too sore then begin to incorporate a day or two each week, along with your usual 3-4 mile days.


After 3 to 4 weeks you can increase your average, along with one or two long days.


The half is "only" 13 miles so you don't need half the training as you would need for the marathon.


A common mistake for beginning runners is to increase their distances too fast, you will feel good, but unless you control your increases you can be injured, which will set you back.


Two weeks before the half do a 10 mile run on your long day, and then taper back to easy days, without any stress work.


The 2 days before the race, warm up, do an easy 10 to 15 minute run and then rest.


In the race go out at a comfortable pace, you will feel good, but don't get caught up in the excitement of the herd and run too fast.


Drink water at every station, even if you are not thirsty, stop and walk to drink don't try to drink while running.


You should do fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment