Friday, December 2, 2011

How to dress for my first half marathon?

I'm running my first half marathon this weekend and wondering how to dress for the weather. It's in Michigan, the forecast calls for high 40's to low 50's. I tend to get cold easily but also don't want to overheat.|||Wear whatever you've been training in. 40s is good weather to run in, so I suggest a t-shirt, shorts, and something over the both that you could pull off if necessary.|||Hooray! I've ran quite a few 1/2 marathons and I always wore cheap dollar store gloves to throw away and shorts/tech shirt (I usually wear my short sleeve team shirt)and a very lightweight jacket (sleeve zip off and I put them in my pockets. Don't forget a breathable cap in case of rain/shades for sun. If you bought something new, try it first before wearing it on race day because of chafing. Use a garbage bag if you dont have a jacket. I run with a water bottle belt (hold extra gu, chapsticks, advil...)


Good Luck!





PS, dont go in front of the line like i did...that spots for the elites. I did not know that at the time. Hydrate well, pottie runs up until 5 minutes before run and your good to go.|||I just did a half - OK so it was in Edinburgh- and loads of people had on Polythene 'bin bags' to shield them from wind/keep them warm. As soon as race started, or along the way, they threw them off. No need to loose a t-shirt.|||Wear something you can throw away after you start running. If the temp is in the 40s you will get hot unless you are running into the wind.


Wear some gloves, I usually just use a pair of cotton painter's gloves.


As long as your hands are warm you will be warm, but it your hands are cold you will be cold all over.


Dress in layers so you can take it off after you warm up while running.


You will be sweating in a few minutes if there is no wind or you are running down wind with the wind at your back.


So try a wind breaker type jacket or shirt that you can take off, something old so you won't carry it for the rest of the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment