Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How can I train for a half marathon?

I've picked a marathon 1 year away. I'm not in very good shape, but this is something that I really want to do. Any tips or ideas to get me started?|||Yes! I'm glad to hear that you want to do this, motivation is the most important part =). I went through the exact same thing 4 years ago and I went from a terrible runner to... a pretty good runner. There are lots of things you will learn along the way- I would suggest subscribing to runners world magazine and maybe checking out your local bookstore for some more advice. Way too much to cover to answer you briefly.





Some tips to get started though would be to make sure you enjoy it. You need make sure that it's not a chore but a reward. Don't be too critical of yourself when you are starting, but always keep in mind why you are training. I'd suggest buying a small mp3 player and an armband. Having some music is key. In addition, make sure your clothes are comfortable, fit right, and you have relatively new shoes (less than a year). Find a place to run that you enjoy, either the mountains, a park, some quiet streets, find a few running courses that you feel comfortable with. Oh- and if you don't feel like running, then don't. Theres nothing worse when you are starting out then forcing yourself to do it and then quitting halfway because you were too tired or your day was stressful. Make sure that you finish what you start.








Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment