Friday, December 2, 2011

How to train for first time marathon?

I really want to run in a Marathon and think its very self rewarding. So i need all the advice and tips that will be helpful. Where to start, how to get where I want. All the advice for beginners! All will help. Please let info come from a runner!|||The most important advice is to follow a marathon training schedule. Since this is your first time, I recommend a "novice" schedule. In addition to that, there are a few tips that every beginner should know. See the source material for more details. Good luck!|||I just ran my first marathon last weekend actually! It was in Lake Placid NY. OK, first off, if you are running in any type of hilly climate, train with hills! lots of them! Luckily I did a good amount of hill training, because it was a tough first marathon.





TIME


give yourself at LEAST 6 months to train. I Started training in January and just ran my race June 14th. I was not a "runner" and now I can't wait to train for another marathon. I believe 6 months in the perfect amount of time to train. There are a lot of marathon training schedules that cover this amount of time.





LONG RUNS


To start, build your mileage gradually! Your not going to want to start running 6 miles a day everyday, unless you do already. Start with a mile and go from there. When you are comfortable with your mileage, then move on. Focus on long runs once you have built yourself up to run them! A marathon training schedule usually involves a long run which falls on the day you will be running your marathon(Sunday in most cases) The Long runs are really what is going to make it or break it for you. Focus on your breathing, posture, not time for these runs. Get them done and do them at a relatively slower than marathon pace.





DONT RUN EVERY DAY


I made this mistake and burnt myself out real quick. Run every other day, cross train between(biking, swimming)





HYDRATE


drink water all the time. Stay hydrated during the whole training process. When you have longer runs, hydrate very well the day before.





DIET


Eat Good. When you start running a lot, your body will let you know that the pizza you ate last night was probably not the best choice.





Here are those Schedules I was talking about Earlier





Runner's World Rookie Plan-


http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-11937-0,00.html





Sports Fitness Advisor-


http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/marathon-training-schedule.html|||Run a little bit every day then run more each day

No comments:

Post a Comment